Friday, May 15, 2015

The Daily Bite: Revel Revisited



http://www.evolutionprojects.com/images/made/Revel9_710_467_c1.jpg

Family Food Fest 2015 continued with an old favorite. Even though we have been to Revel several times, we keep going back because it is just that good.

We started off with the "Good Way to Start" (I know right? It doesn't make any sense!)
The Revel Grill Shack 2015 featured Hampshire Hogs from Jones Family Farm Lopez Island, WA. Specifically the cuts were the Sausage, Belly, and Ham. They were all delicious, but my favorite was the pork belly. It's bacon, but cooked on a grill. It's pretty much making something I didn't think could get better, better.

I was realizing as I was typing the first paragraph that we enjoyed a large number of dishes...so, I'm going to list them, as opposed to introducing every item with very similar but slightly different phrases such as "Then to our utmost delight, we had the...." and ''Next we were extra fortunate to have the opportunity to taste the...''

Lamb Salad (Corned Lamb, Mizuna, spicy nuoc cham)
This salad was extra tasty, but it was a bit too spicy for those in our group with softer palettes.

Shrimp Pancake (Shrimp Cake, Pea Vine, Pistachio, Preserved lemon)
While shrimp, pistachios and lemons are always going to be a winning combination, I liked the Pork Belly Pancake from previous visits more than the Shrimp Pancake. (Like I said, Pork Belly is bacon, but better)

Pork Dumpling (Moo Shu Pork, Wood Ear Mushroom, Hoisin)
These dumplings reminded me of how delicious good Asian food can be. I feel it appropriate to liken them to an explosion of savory, flavorful goodness.

Short Rib Dumpling (Short Rib, Pickled Shallot, Scallion)
These dumplings were also tasty, but not quite as good as the pork dumplings. Although, before we blame the Short Rib for this shortcoming, let it be noted the Short Rib Rice was one of my favorite dishes.

Short Rib Rice (w/egg yolk) (Short Rib, Sambal Daikon, Mustard Greens)
As asserted previously, this dish was tied for my favorite. Perhaps it was because there was more of the Short Rib to enjoy. Although credit should also be given to the Daikon and Greens which complemented the Short Rib masterfully.

Crab Noodle (Dungeness Crab, Seaweed Noodle, Spicy Red Curry, Crème fraiche)
This was my other favorite dish. The Dungeness Crab combined with the homemade noodles and curry had a hint of salt and sea that was mouthwateringly delicious.

The dessert dishes were inspired by Cinco de Mayo and featured a fun spin on Mexican drinks.
Horchata (Mochi Cake) (Caramelized Mochi Cake, Burnt Milk Ice Cream, Cinnamon Sauce, Drunken Figs, Forbidden Rice Puffs)
I particularly liked this dish because of the drunken figs (I love figs in any shape or state of drunkenness). However, even without the figs it would have been ¨magnífico¨.

Tascalate (Chocolate Mousse) (Achiote Chocolate Mousse, Pine Nut Crunch, Cornmeal Tart, Chipotle Caramel, Chicharones)
I must say, my love of figs is surpassed by my love of Chocolate, especially Chocolate with a bit of extra spice to it. As such, this delectable mousse took the proverbial cake in terms of dessert.

No comments:

Post a Comment